A Passage to an Adage...

An outlet for my creative expression, musings, odd witty remarks, reviews & resignations, inane/insane ramblings and my latest attempt to publicly eradicate my arch enemy, the evil 'procrastination.'

My Photo
Name:
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

If I were rich you might call me eccentric. Alas I am not so I guess i'll settle for crazzzy.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Reflections of Bolivia


It was a year ago today when I began a 16 day journey through Bolivia as part of a missions team who's goal was to deliver 600 pre-tuned, solar powered radios to remote villages in the Andes and then down in the jungle. Over these next sixteen days I will be sharing some of my favourite pictures along with some stories as I reflect on my time in Bolivia last April. The picture above was taken as we returned from a village called Secana which was a 5 hour hike down a dried up river bed(the only access to the village, in season). This, after 11 hours of travelling on some rough roads through the mighty Andes the day before. We took a number of radio's out to the people there. Many people had gathered there from surrounding areas, some walking for as many as 2 days just to receive a free radio. We were able to show the Jesus movie(in their native quechuen language) because a few local men helped carry a 60lb generator on their backs for that five hour trek to the village. They took turns carrying this thing on their backs, and they weren't big men, but they were strong and always had a smile on their faces. I hadn't realised this group of men until we were returning from Secana. After some banter, joking and a few laughs they relented and allowed me to carry the load for a leg of the journey. It wasn't an easy task and it was made even more challenging under the heat of the sun there. Of course, in the spirit of competition I had to race the donkey! Everytime I look at this pic it reminds me of one of my favourite passages in scripture, Matthew 11:28-30.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden light.
Matthew 11:28-30

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home